Thursday, February 17, 2011

Who Broke the Mirror?? (Part 3)

Ok, so I had to finish this series. I couldn't wait much longer to tell my fabulous story of how I hurt my knee and to find the silver lining.  If you haven't been reading along...be sure to catch up on part 1 and part 2.

I was a little wordy with my last post so I left out the silver lining I found with the boys being sick. Even though sicknesses are not fun, we got to take a break from the daily grind and just hang out together.  I spent a lot of one on one time with both boys cuddled on the couch watching Camp Rock and Toy Story more times that I can count!  But I loved it.  There were frustrating times where they wouldn't take their medicine but after a time out for both of us, they would.  And then there was the constant need for only their mom which was very taxing on me but now looking back, there will not be many years left for that. So I  will stop and cherish every cry for "Momma" from now on and all the outreached arms screaming pick me up and remember that my boys will be grown before I know it.

My knee accident comes 1 day after Pearson's pneumonia diagnosis - like we needed more drama. I really wish I had this fabulous story about how I was training for my first marathon (yet I don't even run even though ironically we were looking at treadmills just days before this accident!) or how I was climbing Mt. Everest (yeah, not even) when I hurt my knee.  Something totally fabulous but no, just quite the opposite - the dog did it.  Yes, Lucy our 8-month old Golden Retriever took me out.  She was playing with a neighbor's dog and was just running full throttle when she hit me at my knee on the outside.  I felt a pop and then it went back in and I fell to the ground, holding Pearson (he never touched the ground - that could be the fabulous part!) Luckily my neighbor was with me and she helped me get everyone inside including myself. She was also able to get me a quick appointment for the next day with a wonderful orthopedist.

The diagnosis - sprained/torn MCL.  The best ligament in your knee to mess up if you are going to mess one up.  So I had that going for me. However the treatment was to take it easy for 2 weeks and see him back in a month.  I will admit I had a slight smile as I visioned laying around for the next 2 weeks while everyone waited on me for a change.  That vision was rudely interrupted when Dave told me he would be going back to work that afternoon - ahh reality - I'm a stay at home mom with 2 young kids and 2 crazy dogs - there is no laying around for anyone, much less me.  But over the last week, we've made it work.

So the silver lining in this is God has a funny way of making sure we take care of ourselves too.  I was forced to slow down and rely on friends and family to help me.  And boy do I have some great friends and family members!  I didn't even have to ask for help. They were all there waiting.  Words can't tell you how thankful I am for all of them.  Dave has been awesome.  He has really made sure I take it easy as much as possible and Owen has been a tremendous help.  He's been going up and down the stairs to get things for me a lot and helping with Pearson a lot too.   1 more week of taking it easy and I should be walking less like Frankenstein!

No comments:

Post a Comment