Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Who Broke the Mirror?? (Part 2)

So if you didn't read part 1, be sure to check that post out first.  And now for the exciting part 2....While we were with Bill at the hospital, Dave got a voicemail from Owen.  It said, "Momma, I think I need to go to the doctor. I have a cough. Call me back. Bye."  I'm used to Owen's dramatic take on things so I didn't think much about it.  But Dave was pretty worried. So I called mom who was watching the boys (don't know what I would do without her help!) and asked what Owen's message was all about and sure enough, he was coughing pretty bad and running a low grade fever.  I told her to just keep him home from school and we would be home later that afternoon.  That was on a Wednesday.  Thursday we decided to take him to the doctor and they determined he had a virus (I pretty much knew that since many of the other preschool friends had that too.) and they sent us home with instructions that pretty much went like this...."tylenol, nose spray, motrin, nose spray, tylenol, nose spray..." you get the drift.  We did that the rest of the week and all into the weekend.  Meanwhile, Pearson started showing the same symptoms over the weekend and we performed the same protocol with him too.  By Sunday, all I knew was tylenol, nose spray, motrin.  I had to write it all down to keep up with who got what when!

Neither boy was getting better so on Monday I decided to take both boys to the doctor.  Turns out Owen had a double ear infection and the doctor ordered the good old "pink medicine" for him and Pearson had well, a virus!  Owen was feeling much better by Wednesday and was back at school. Pearson was alot worse.  You could look at him and you knew he didn't feel good - so off to the doctor.  Diagnosis - pneumonia.  I had a mommie's intuition that that was what it was.  I had gone through so many different sicknesses with Owen and none of them fit Pearson at that moment. So pneumonia was completely new and we had just dealt with Dave's step-mom being in the hospitial on a ventilator for pneumonia and the flu.  So needless to say, we were stressing.  But our wonderful pediatrician gave Pearson a strong antibiotic shot and a breathing treatment using an inhaler.  We were to continue at home with the inhaler along with another antibiotic and motrin for fever.  Thursday he was feeling a little better and I wasn't totally convinced he was on the mend but I just kept him relaxing (watched Toy Story 3 about 4 times in one day - please don't judge my use of TV!) and doped up on his medicine.  He perked up that afternoon.   Thank GOODNESS!! We are still on antibiotics for both boys but my little white basket full of medicines has been retired to the medicine closet and now I can think beyond tylenol, nose spray, motrin! So Thursday was looking like the black cloud was lifting from the Yates household...and then it happened....

No comments:

Post a Comment